[Sidefx-houdini-list] Interviewing Candidates

Jerry Corda-Stanley jerry at intelligentcreatures.com
Tue Jun 12 14:47:07 EDT 2007

Dave has hit the nail on the head.

If you are doing the insane hours you aren't working smarter.
It's all very well rowing a leaky boat with you finger in the hole
and saying "Well, it works so don't change a thing". Larger companies can
soak up the wastage, but it's infuriating to watch them piss the resources
away.

I've seen Sup's who don't understand, non technical dudes, and just want to
stick with what they know. To my mind it doesn't matter if you don't know, so
long as you can see what your people are capable of and utilise them.

There's the argument that Houdini is too expensive to use. IMHO that's a
crock. There's huge time savings that can be had with a few Master licenses
as support tools in conventional pipelines.

I'm perpetually meeting people who still believe the myth Houdini is just
good for particles. I have to tell them "No dude. It's the 3d swiss army
knife. You got a problem 2d or 3d, I can fix it in Houdini." But no, they
still want to carry on in their leaky boat. <sigh>

Slowly though, people are cottoning on to things. The market is forcing them
to have to.