[Sidefx-houdini-list] VFX article

Ivan DeWolf ivan at martian-labs.com
Thu Jun 7 12:38:32 EDT 2007

unions and labor laws all sound like wonderful and possible solutions, but there
is a problem here.  The situation isn't one of a few large companies (like coal
mines) taking advantage of a  bunch of employees, it's  a few huge companies
taking advantage of a few small companies that employ artists. (yes, R&H and DD
are small companies compared to their employers)

Crazy hours etc. are illegal, but they have become industry standard.
If all the artists at some small shop put their foot down and insist on a 40
hour work week, all that would happen is their employer would fold, only to be
replaced by some students in a garage with a cracked maya license.

Instead of a union, we need some kind of guild for the visual effects shops or
something.  The situation is threatening to maybe get difficult for artists,
but it's already ruthlessly lethal for the shops.

When centropolis and and cinesite shuttered, noone replaced them. I believe it's
because nobody in their right mind would fund a "tentpole" visual effects shop-
it's impossible to turn a profit.  The "boutiques" usually employ their primary
funding source; they make their money back by wearning a paycheck.

-Ivan