[Sidefx-houdini-list] Sharing animation with Max

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Thu Jun 7 00:40:47 EDT 2007

Sean Lewkiw wrote:

>> At DNA we had a custom sop that read a point cloud format and
>> deformed the input mesh accordingly. It worked very well for taking
>> Maya animation in to Houdini. Might be time to crack open the HDK...
>> unless someones done this?
> We've just finished up exactly this here, a Maya<->Houdini mesh
> cache/camera/light translator.  Could this be the most re-invented
> wheel ever?  Every single studio that uses Houdini must have a version
> of this tool, which took some tools dude in a dark corner three weeks
> to write.  This one utility must account for a complete man-year of
> work per year across the world.
OK...

Because Sean said every studio has to write their own I did.

http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fileid=389&versionid=389

That's a python script to convert a sequence of obj files into a .pc2
file. Seems to work a treat so far. Now... to write our own camera/light
translator ;)

Thanks all for your help!

Beers,
r.