[Sidefx-houdini-list] Ye ole geforce 8800 gtx

Kurt Williams kurt at rhythm.com
Wed Jun 6 12:18:59 EDT 2007

Dragos Stefan wrote:

> I run Houdini Escape 8.2 with a GeForce 8800 GTS (not GTX), but with
> only one display (1920x1200), drivers 97.92. No complaints here.
> So you say it's possible to softmod it into a Quadro4600? mmm... tempting

Here is a follow up...

I tried running about 5-6 different versions of drivers, without
success. I tried to get houdini running on a single monitor with
different  houdini display settings and I found if I turn off double
buffering, all of the corruption issues go away.

The only thing that will cause a redraw issue, is the red highlighting
of text when using the tab - type menus over a 3d viewport. It will
cause the background to glitch out, but once you complete the command,
the viewport corrects itself. The tile tab seems ok.

So it could be the 8800 drivers, it could be the win 64 environment, or
its houdini being really picky about UI redraw. That being said, Maya,
Zbrush, Mudbox and a few direct x / opengl video games run fine on the
system.

Rivatuner along with a specific set of drivers is susposed to allow you
to enable the "professional" features of the 8800 card, but I'm not
risking a bad bios flash if that is required.

--
Kurt Williams (x7581)
Rhythm & Hues Studios