[Sidefx-houdini-list] Maya .anim curves in Houdini

jlait at sidefx.com jlait at sidefx.com
Thu Feb 22 11:51:14 EST 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 02:09:58PM -0800, Ivan DeWolf wrote:

> if you're dumping the data to an ascii file, that might be the
> precision error.
>
> often it seems ascii dumps of floating point numbers are truncated...

    The default output of floats in C/C++ seems to be 6 digits of
precision.  This is insufficient to represent the full actual range of
floating point numbers.  Round off in the conversion to ascii can
result in slight differences - the number you save won't be the same
when you load it again.

    For Houdini 9, we have attempted to sweep for all cases where we save
out Ascii numbers and use SYS_FLT_DIG (9 digits) or SYS_DBL_DIG (17
digits) precision in writing ascii to avoid this issue.

    Houdini 8.1 I believe can still suffer from this problem, though a
few cases (such as .geos) were manually fixed.
--
        - Jeff Lait