[Sidefx-houdini-list] pop surface emission using texture

Ben Schrijvers ben.schrijvers at guerrilla-games.com
Wed Feb 21 06:00:11 EST 2007

Hi Luca,

You can't directly birth particles from a map in pops.
You could subdivide your surface then store the map rgb values in the
geometry as custom attributes.
This should also be possible with a i3d map if you build a VEX operator
which reads the voxel values at each point possition.

Then either use a scatter (based on that attribute) and save the
sequence to disk. Be sure to calculate velocity before the scatter so
you can use that in pops and also use it to interpolate subframe point
positions.
Or skip the scatter and in pops birth from attribute. I would suggest
the first though as birthing from a bunch of points gives you quicker
feedback in pops.

In the proto install there is also a Sop (pointmap) that takes a map as
input and scatters points based on it's value.
But then you'll have to find a way to wrap that in 3D.

Yes driving wind with a i3d texture is possible. Again you'll have to
get your hands dirty in VEX.
But just to get random variations this is overkill. Wind POP has it's
own turbulance or else try the Wisp POP from Martian Labs or some other
pops from the exchange page.
You could also hold your breath till v9 as I geuss there should be some
kind of fluidsolver+pops interaction implimented.

cheers,
benS