[Sidefx-houdini-list] Multiple channels to export (CHOPS)

Dave Nunez nunezd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 05:05:41 EST 2007

Hey rangi, thanks for the heads up... there should be a universal DSP
(digital signal processing) standard that we could read/write without
having to worry about semantics, because I hate string editing.

D.

On 2/9/07, Rangi Sutton <rangi.sutton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave Nunez wrote:
> > hmm, thanks Rangi. bclip won't work for me though.. need ascii tab
> > delimited channels (with their transforsm) because I'm taking them to
> > python then to matlab then back to houdini.
> > ooops, sorry about that.. should take a look first at your bclip
> > implementation before I put my foot in my mouth.
> My implementation just uses a delete chop to strip back to one channel
> each frame, then uses the channel rop to save 'em out. Pretty simple.
>
> If you want .chan files then simply use the .chan suffix instead of .bclip.
>
> If you want to get a little deeper into that, check out the file
>
> $HFS/houdini/CHANio
>
> Which actually defines how houdini treats it's channel suffixes (There's
> also FBio for images, GEOio for geometry.. etc)
>
> If you write a python script that converts a .chan into another format
> then add a line to CHANio like the following.
>
> .myformat "mycoversionscript.py %s stdout.chn" "myconversionscript.py
> stdin.chn %s"
>
> and any channel that is written to with that suffix will get piped
> through your script. Likewise on the way back in. It means you can
> implement your own format and have houdini transparently support it.
> Cool huh? Not that I've ever actually used CHANio.. but FBio has been
> handy as hell in the past.
>
> r.

When things get too complicated, it sometimes makes sense to stop and
wonder: Have I asked the right question?
-Enrico Bombieri