[Sidefx-houdini-list] Multiple channels to export (CHOPS)

Rangi Sutton rangi.sutton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 05:06:59 EST 2007

Dave Nunez wrote:
> hmm, thanks Rangi. bclip won't work for me though.. need ascii tab
> delimited channels (with their transforsm) because I'm taking them to
> python then to matlab then back to houdini.
> ooops, sorry about that.. should take a look first at your bclip
> implementation before I put my foot in my mouth.
My implementation just uses a delete chop to strip back to one channel
each frame, then uses the channel rop to save 'em out. Pretty simple.

If you want .chan files then simply use the .chan suffix instead of .bclip.

If you want to get a little deeper into that, check out the file

$HFS/houdini/CHANio

Which actually defines how houdini treats it's channel suffixes (There's
also FBio for images, GEOio for geometry.. etc)

If you write a python script that converts a .chan into another format
then add a line to CHANio like the following.

.myformat "mycoversionscript.py %s stdout.chn" "myconversionscript.py
stdin.chn %s"

and any channel that is written to with that suffix will get piped
through your script. Likewise on the way back in. It means you can
implement your own format and have houdini transparently support it.
Cool huh? Not that I've ever actually used CHANio.. but FBio has been
handy as hell in the past.

r.