[Sidefx-houdini-list] point versus vertex textures ...

Darran Edmundson darran at edmstudio.com
Wed Feb 7 17:48:20 EST 2007

A colleague familiar with other tools asked by about the following in
houdini::

"I want to create a textured box with smooth normals but with 'faces
painted' i.e., different UVs at each vertex which are not continuous
over adjacent faces. The typical textured box then. In other tools this
can often be implemented as 8 points but with multiple UVs at each point
(so the vertices generated have to be duplicated). Given what I've seen
when using the 'Facet' operator, I'm wondering whether I need to do this
in Houdini or not. But I don't know the typical methods of generating
UVs like this - I've had a quick go but haven't spent a lot of time on
it yet."

His question made be realize that I've never explored vertex texturing
in Houdini.  My approach would be to use a Facet SOP with unique points
followed by a UVTexture SOP with faces and point texturing.  In this
case (where he wants smooth normals anyway), it is obviously wasteful in
terms of replicating points.  Plus I'd need to massage the cusped
normals at coincident points on differing faces to be the same.

When do you use vertex texturing?

Cheers,
Darran.

--
Darran Edmundson [darran at edmstudio.com]
Interactive visualization for museums and industry