[Sidefx-houdini-list] modify cd attribute using image sequence.

Stephen Gustafson sgustafso at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 19:45:42 EST 2007

VEX shaders don't have an understanding of Houdini expressions (and so, no
$F variables). You can still do this, but you should pipe in the
expression for your image sequence from a parameter on the VEX shader
itself, not by embedding it directly into the VEX code.
If you really want to have it so that your expression is embedded (i.e.,
so that whoever is using the shader doesn't have to set it), you can set
the default string on this filename parameter to your image sequence
expression, and then even make the parameter invisible if you want. VEX
will still complain if you use a default like that, but it'll still work,
because it's an exported parameter.
The difference is that, when you place your expression on an external
parameter, Houdini will parse that expression first, and pass along the
resolved image name into the VEX shader for Mantra to call. Mantra doesn't
understand expressions (though I'm sure there are ways of getting it to).
And even if it could, you probably wouldn't want it to: If your expression
was being evaluated within the shader itself, it would probably end up
being parsed several hundred thousand times per frame.

So yeah, send the expression in through a parameter node. :)