[Sidefx-houdini-list] memory caching

Lucio Flores dogboy_l at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 21:14:37 EST 2007

SOP and particle geometry are always allocated through the HDK, via Gdp
methods. Because of this, shouldn't Houdini be able to do some clever
de-allocation as needed?? For example, if I need some memory intensive
allocation for a SOP chain, and houdini can't provide it, it crashes. But it
does have an internal record of Gdp allocations. Couldn't it determine which
one was least recently used, deallocate it, and retry the current allocation
request?? I feel like that would be better than just coredumping.

God, how much more profitable would it be,
if the Thinker would learn from the Drunk?

                                   - Kafka