[Sidefx-houdini-list] cloth solver

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 15:07:12 EST 2007

Yep - I spent weeks messing with the cloth solver for some saran-wrap
shots on "over the hedge". I eventually got some pretty nice results -
but it always looked like cloth - and we needed taught saran wrap.

Although it took a little time to set up (but still less that the
amount of time I spent waiting for poor simulation outcomes) the
procedural modelling approach gave me the kind of control the director
wanted. With the rig complete I was able to roll it out to multiple
shots and finish those in no time. I could iterate with the animation
in realtime as sups stood over my shoulder. Even if you had a working
cloth simulator I wonder if you could ever get that level of control
at that rate of interactivity. I doubt it, and in the future I would
at least investigate a hybrid system if a fully procedural system was
not possible.

Cheers