[Sidefx-houdini-list] cloth solver

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Fri Dec 14 14:45:50 EST 2007

On Friday 14 December 2007 14:41, Jeff Higgins wrote:
> i love houdini... really i do... but the cloth isn't up to snuff, i'm sure
> there just hasn't been enough effort put into to making it a solid solver,
> you might be able to get decent results using maya nCloth, because it has
> some nice features for tearing.

	Not sure I agree with your first statement.  I have heard ncloth is very nice
though - it might well be better than Houdini's overall in terms of getting
something behaving well very quickly.  I wouldn't completely dismiss
Houdini's cloth, though.  We've used it here and gotten some very nice
results with it.

> if you're still keen on using houdini, you could try out syflex.. its the
> industry standard for cloth and i think support in houdini is pretty good,
> although i've never used it.

	They haven't been keeping it up.  We bought it back before cloth in houdini
and I never hear from them.  Even if they continue to compile it, I know it's
the old version.

> the shot seems like its a one off and while doing it with cloth is a cool
> approach you may be able to get away with doing it without it, like in
> chops as andrew suggested.

	Yeah, I'd agree with you and Andrew on this.  Sims are nice, they can handle
many things that would take forever to do by hand, but something as specific
as this you want complete control over.  You'll spend all your time fighting
a simulator, otherwise.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada