[Sidefx-houdini-list] smart polygon reduction

Ben Schrijvers ben.schrijvers at guerrilla-games.com
Mon Dec 10 05:04:19 EST 2007

Hi Darran,

I'm using PolyReduce quite a lot.
Indeed equalize edges gives a good result but less optimized in that
flat areas get the same amount of poly's then curved areas.
But you could always do a few in a row..

You could also deform your geometry before the reduction and then deform
it back.
So like in case of the terain you could scale up in Y to get more
resolution in that dimension.
By deforming back I just mean you should store the original position as
an attribute and use that after the reduction as your possition.

What I would love for the Reduce Sop though would be a slider to reduce
by correlation.
So that you can guarentee a certain minimum amount of shape change.
I now build that myselve with a couple of Poly Reduce's and switches to
pit the best one.

cheers,
benS