[Sidefx-houdini-list] smart polygon reduction

Darran Edmundson darran at edmstudio.com
Sat Dec 8 00:22:07 EST 2007

I have a 6000x8000 regular terrain grid that I'd like to intelligently
reduce to various levels-of-detail (1000k, 500k, 250k, 100k
triangles).  The polygon reduction in Houdini has - in my experience -
never been particularly impressive.   That's a shame, because lots of
other packages like PolyWorks, NuGraph, PolygonCruncher for Max have
obviously solved the problem procedurally.  Or am I just doing it
wrong ...  And if not Houdini, and not wanting to buy yet-another-
package, what options are there?  Are there companies around that will
do mesh optimization?

Cheers,
Darran.