[Sidefx-houdini-list] Hscript bug?

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Thu Dec 6 20:27:28 EST 2007

gravatar at gravatonia.com wrote:
> Ok, I finally got hscript to fired up with my hip file.  Now here is a
> persnickety that has had me pulling out my hair the last hour .  Whenever I
> use $HIP for the render output,
> $HIP/renders/killmenow.$F4.tga for example, when I try to render via
> hscript it will try to write to j://myfiles/renders/killmenow.$F4.tga and
> dies.  Rendering the same file via gui works fine.  There is a go around.
> If I put the full directory tree in the output location on the rop, the
> hscript render has no problems.  Is this a bug on the windows version or a
> peculiarity?

To trouble shoot try seeing what $HIP is evaluating to in hscript..

 > echo $HIP

vs the same command run in the Houdini GUI's textport.

I can't remember the exact in-s and out-s of $HIP, $HIPDIR, $JOB.. as
I've stopped using them long ago... because weird stuff can happen.

I'd recommend making some of your own, such as $SHOT, or $PIC. Set them
manually, or build a system involving 456.cmd files. Loads more control.
Maybe h9 provides new ways of handling this stuff. There's a 456.py?

Cheers,
r.