[Sidefx-houdini-list] Newbie question on keyboard.

Sean Lewkiw seanl at rainmaker.com
Tue Aug 28 06:18:38 EDT 2007

Your keyboard hotkeys are in your $HOME/houdiniX.X/HotkeyOverrides
file.  To reset to factory hotkeys, you could set up an alias:

# reset to factory
alias 'r' 'mv $HOME/houdiniX.X/HotkeyOverrides
$HOME/houdiniX.X/HotkeyOverrides.tmp'
# reset to my custom hotkeys
alias 'h' 'mv $HOME/houdiniX.X/HotkeyOverrides.tmp
$HOME/houdiniX.X/HotkeyOverrides'

If you want to run the alias from houdini, you can set up the aliases
there, you just need to add "unix" before the mv command.

I think you have to restart Houdini for the new hotkeys to take effect
though.

Sean

Jordi Bares wrote:
> Oh no... It was about user-centric keyboard shortcuts, so I can select a
> keyboard setup when needed.
>
> Some people like me have to jump from software to software far too often and
> I simply can't mentally switch so fast, therefore I have a keyboard shortcut
> setup on both XSI, Maya so I get a decent compromise for all of them. I
> would just want to do this also for Houdini so the transition is as easy as
> possible.
>
> The problem then is that someone that is helping me needs to reset the
> keyboard shortcuts every time I need help, this could be done nicely like
> XSI does it where you can save your keyboard shortcuts and even distribute
> them to other machienes so wherever I sit down I have that setup ready.
>
> Hope it is a bit more clear now.
> jb
>

> On 18/8/07 00:35, "Ammon Riley" <ammon.riley at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 8/17/07, Jordi Bares <jordibares at the-mill.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry for the dumb question but is there any keyboard manager in Houdini9 so
>>> I can swap from factory keyboard to mine? Can I have multiple keyboard
>>> setups and jump from one to another?
>>>
>> I may be misunderstanding you, but that sounds like a function
>> of the operating system, rather than Houdini. Are you just talking
>> about, say, switching from, say, a qwerty keyboard setup to a
>> dvorak keyboard setup to a German keyboard setup with it's
>> fancy umlauts and the like? Or are you talking about being able
>> to make hot-keys user-definable, so that rather than having the
>> 'H' key for the "home" operation, you can change it to
>> Alt+Shift+Q?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ammon

Sean Lewkiw