[Sidefx-houdini-list] the houdini challenge ...

Darran Edmundson darran at edmstudio.com
Tue Aug 21 18:00:52 EDT 2007

A few years back Nadav Samet put together a a series of programming
riddles called "the python challange":
    http://www.pythonchallenge.com
The challenge starts easy and gets progressively harder, the solution to
each riddle yielding a url for the next "level".  It is, for certain
personality types, very addictive.  Compulsions aside, it is also a good
way of exploring the corners of the language.

I wondered about something similar for houdini.  How could you formulate
  interesting Houdini riddles with "answers" that yield access to a
higher "riddle"?  I.e., is there a Houdini analog of the Python Challenge?

One option would be letting people submit hip file solutions that are
automatically run (perhaps in a virtual machine to protect against
malicious code).  We could verify the output (how?) and provide some
diagnostics (number of nodes used, number of expressions, screencaps of
the networks, etc.) along with comment feedback and community ranking.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Darran.

P.S.  Forgive me, I feel more like writing than working today ... and
it's either messages to the list or a pointless letter to the city of
Calgary complaining about overgrown hedges on my walk to work.

--
Darran Edmundson [darran at edmstudio.com]
http://www.edmstudio.com