[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini and Gaming/Interactivity (was: Houdini Mental Ray)

Darran Edmundson darran at edmstudio.com
Thu Aug 2 19:24:50 EDT 2007

On this topic of Houdini and gaming, it would be absolutely wonderful if
GLSL shaders could be displayed in the viewport.  I'm not talking about
the utopia of having VOPs generate GLSL output ... just (and I use the
word 'just' with reckless abandon) being able to real-time preview with
external shader code.  Max and Xsi support this, either natively or via
plug-ins.  I suspect this is a critical barrier to game developers using
Houdini in production.

On a related note, with advanced shader support, houdini would make an
awesome interactive engine.  Last I looked, Derivative's Touch (yes, I'm
aware of the origins) (i) didn't support this, and (ii) lags modern
houdini significantly in terms of functionality.

Cheers,
Darran.

--
Darran Edmundson [darran at edmstudio.com]