[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini Mental Ray

Jan Walter jwalter at d2.com
Wed Aug 1 14:23:49 EDT 2007

Well, since yesterday it's kind of official, that FX Composer ships with
mental mill (Artist Edition):

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/fx_composer_home.html
http://www.mentalimages.com/2_4_1_mentalmill_ae/

Read the white paper about what mental mill really is, but in short I
can say the shading language MetaSL is much simpler (easier to learn)
in  comparison to mental ray's C/C++ API (especially for those guys who
have a RenderMan background). The mental mill API has basically two
libraries: One for the GUI (e.g. wire your black boxes or phenomena to a
shading network - as you would do in e.g. the VEX Builder), one for the
compilation into several back ends (e.g. Cg, GLSL, HLSL, C++). Might be
interesting for those guys who start thinking about merging the movie
and game industry. You get HW (GPU support) and SW versions from the
same source tree (just using different back ends). And I guess that's
all I can say about it right now ...

Cheers,

Jan