[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini Mental Ray

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 12:56:09 EDT 2007

I can completely see the arguments for mental ray from sidefx.

Perhaps though this is one of the things that the community needs to
take care of. I've been noticing lately with H9 that whenever I run
into a problem with Prman integration. SESI can point me at a SOHO
python file to do an immediate fix, and then they roll out the same
fix in the next build. The point being that it is increasingly easy to
build support for any renderer into Houdini 9 using HDA's and SOHO. It
would only take a few places to pool resources or share tools for
Mental ray support to really come along. But then again maybe SESI
will do it if the support is strong enough. I'm kind of glad that they
support prman so well, but I'm also hoping they devote adequate
resources to see Mantra/VOPs come along as well, because at the end of
the day it has so much going for it, and unless proper resources are
devoted to it - it might not get off the ground. Strategically
speaking, making Mantra/VOPs the best that they can be is arguably a
better focus for SESI than playing second fiddle to the renderers used
by the competition...

Cheers