[Sidefx-houdini-list] uvunwrap ...

Darran Edmundson darran at edmstudio.com
Sun Apr 29 02:05:33 EDT 2007

Looking at the results of the uvunwrap SOP applied to some of our
architectural-like objects, we're seeing a lot of wasted texture space.
  There are two main causes:

1) Thin polys that, for some reason, are diagonally oriented in uv
space.  As the packing algorithm uses a rectangular bounding box for
each polygon, a thin diagonal poly in uv space is extremely wasteful.

2) 2 triangles that should form a quad in real space are often mapped to
separate locations in uv space (thus using twice as much uv area as
necessary).

Questions then:

1) Is there a secret to avoiding diagonally mapped polys in uv space?
(At first glance, I wonder why the packing algorithm can't rotate these
objects to minimize the bounding box size?)

2) Is it possible to automagically join two triangles that constitute a
planar quad back into a quad?  (It would mean recognizing that two
triangles share an edge and are mirror versions of each other.)

Cheers,
Darran.

--
Darran Edmundson [darran at edmstudio.com]
Interactive visualization for museums and industry