[Sidefx-houdini-list] reducing dops simulation time

Lucio Flores dogboy_l at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 21:03:29 EDT 2007

That's an nxn search which is exhaustive. Try using point clouds, which would
give you a log(n) worst case search. (n is the number of spheres) This would be
pretty easy to code up in vex, I'm not too dops savvy, so I don't know
specifucally how you could hook this into your sim.

--- "Velazquez, Cesar" <Cesar.Velazquez at disney.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anybody had any useful tips for reducing dops
> simulation times. My dops simulation is actually pretty straight forward.
> I have a bunch on spheres that move around and interact with one
> another. They never stop moving. One optimization I found was the
> "implicit sphere" for the
> sdf representation. Another is "sphere" for the culling method in the
> rbd options. Other than that, I'm kinda stuck. Dops doesn't
> seem to do sdf->sdf collision detection that I know of. So I'm stuck
> checking
> each point in the sphere with the sdf of nearby spheres.  With the
> potential of thousands of spheres, my simulation times are becoming
> unworkable. Seems like there should be a built-in optimization for
> using spheres since collision detection between spheres is pretty
> straightforward.
>
> thanks for any suggestions.
> cesar
>
> --
>  Cesar Velazquez                   Walt Disney Feature Animation
>  FX Animator                           500 S. Buena Vista Street
>  cesar.velazquez at disney.com                        Mailcode:4870
>  818-460-8797                             Burbank, CA 91521-8965

God, how much more profitable would it be,
if the Thinker would learn from the Drunk?

                                   - Kafka