[Sidefx-houdini-list] reducing dops simulation time

Velazquez, Cesar Cesar.Velazquez at disney.com
Thu Apr 12 19:56:05 EDT 2007

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody had any useful tips for reducing dops
simulation times. My dops simulation is actually pretty straight forward.
I have a bunch on spheres that move around and interact with one
another. They never stop moving. One optimization I found was the
"implicit sphere" for the
sdf representation. Another is "sphere" for the culling method in the
rbd options. Other than that, I'm kinda stuck. Dops doesn't
seem to do sdf->sdf collision detection that I know of. So I'm stuck
checking
each point in the sphere with the sdf of nearby spheres.  With the
potential of thousands of spheres, my simulation times are becoming
unworkable. Seems like there should be a built-in optimization for
using spheres since collision detection between spheres is pretty
straightforward.

thanks for any suggestions.
cesar

--
 Cesar Velazquez                   Walt Disney Feature Animation
 FX Animator                           500 S. Buena Vista Street