[Sidefx-houdini-list] Slide over Geometry

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 13:05:16 EDT 2007

2007/4/11, CraigLeeHoffman at aol.com <CraigLeeHoffman at aol.com>:

> Depending on what you want to do, you could animate particles in flat
> plane
> above the geometry and project them down.  This is quick and dirty but may
> look weird if you have a lot of height fluctuations since the particles
> will
> move "faster" in those areas.

I have used thi method some times and is very useful to stick particles to a
surface, but depending the size of the surface and the number of particles
the ray SOP (is the tool I have used to project the particles over the
surface), could be slow.
I think tha fast way is to use the Creep POP, but  usually it needs more
time to setup because working in UV space to move particles around is not so
intuitive than using forces, velocities, etc ... Anyway Creep POP is very
very fast.

-Craig

> In a message dated 4/11/2007 12:09:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> andaly.sidefx at gmail.com writes:
>
> I used a  trace SOP to create geometry from an image. The geometry has
> fluctuations  in height (waves in it). I want a particle to glide over the
> surface of  this geometry going up and down with the fluctuations. I've
> attempted using  the Creep SOP within the POP network with no luck. Any
> suggestions for an  alternative way to get the particle to stick to the
> surface? I've heard of  using primUV but don't know much about how  that
> works.
>
> Thanks

Un saludo
Best Regards