[Sidefx-houdini-list] problem with Merge SOP

Darran Edmundson darran at edmstudio.com
Wed Apr 4 01:44:49 EDT 2007

Christopher Spears wrote:
> An artist at work suggested I create a "sticker", a
> piece of geometry that exists on the outside of the
> bottle, for the labels.  I created a sticker and used
> the Merge SOP to combine it with the bottle's
> geometry.  However, the Merge SOP gave me a yellow
> flag: "A mis-match of attributes on the inputs was
> detected. Some attribute values may not be initialized
> to expected values."

If you middle-mouse on the icon for the SOPs leading into your merge,
you can see what attributes exist for each.  As the error says, when one
feed has attributes not present in another feed, Houdini will create and
initialize to some (most likely incorrect) values.  In your case, you
might have normals and/or uvs on one branch, but not on another.  For
your sticker, ensure that the normals are outward facing and the
assigned texture coords are 0 to 1 from left to right, top to bottom.

Off the cuff, I can't think why OpenGL has it right but Mantra not ...

Cheers,
Darran.

--
Darran Edmundson [darran at edmstudio.com]
Interactive visualization for museums and industry