[Sidefx-houdini-list] Python in Houdini 9

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 09:38:36 EST 2006

On 10/31/06, Lutz Paelike <lutz_p at gmx.net> wrote:
> I remember talking to Jeff Wagner a couple of years ago about integrating Python into Houdini
> (i wrote a Python plugin for Maya) and he said something like "I think this is a waste of time."
>
> No offense Jeff ;)
>
> Finally the good stuff prevails..
>
> I guess it is integrated as a shared library, that means it is possible to replace standard python
> with e.g. stackless python. ( http://www.stackless.com )
Have you tried stackless?
The performance is much better than regular python using threads?
It will be great if SESI cretes a solid core base for Houdini 9 ready
for concurrent programming, and transparent for developers.
For example, providing in the HDK functions that runs in parallel when
houdini cooks,or like in Maya where you can ensure that your
operations ar concurrent safe so Maya try to parallel these
operations.
Multiprocessing is the future and is almost a comodity feature in
computers today, so I think that is very important that Houdini 9 can
respond to these new times.

> Thanks SESI this is amazing news.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lutz
>
> Pablo Giménez schrieb:
> > On 10/31/06, Lutz Paelike <lutz_p at gmx.net> wrote:
> >> Yesterday a friend told me that Houdini 9 will be shipping with Python as
> >> the default scripting language. Is this true? That would be absolutely
> >> wicked.
> > Yes it seems to be true.
> > This was showed in the past sidefx London event, and python will be
> > used as the expressions language too.
> >>

> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Lutz Paelike

Un saludo