[Sidefx-houdini-list] Mantra crops

Jeff Wagner jeff at sidefx.com
Mon Oct 30 11:08:28 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-29-10 at 12:11 +0000, Simon Barrick wrote:
> Interesting idea, I'll have to have a play. Two questions immediately
> spring to mind though.
>
> 1. Can you do this on a binary ifd file? If not then this is a no go as
> non-binaries are too big.

Yes. Binary IFD's only turn geometry, images, data, and other object
info into binary information. The actual "hscript" commands of the ifd
is ascii.
Ifd uses hscript commands.

> 2. This would still require making multiple copies of the ifd, it would
> be nice to avoid this as that immediately brings its own management and
> network issues.

If the script removed the ifd once it was done, you would only have two
copies of the ifd while the script was running. That is if you were not
feeding a farm. I guess this is a moot issue.

> We current do the m x n rop nodes method. And it works, its just a major
> pain in the butt for anything other than single images.

I agree.

> Expect an rfe from me..... :)

Already in the database. Thank-you.

-jeff

> Cheers!
> Si

Jeff Wagner, jeff at sidefx.com, Senior Technology Consultant
Side Effects Software, www.sidefx.com, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 3E7
tel: (416) 504-9876, fax: (416) 504-6648