[Sidefx-houdini-list] Stereo Cameras

Rangi Sutton rangi.sutton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 23:22:32 EDT 2006

> Finally, if you don't already have some workstation based way of
> previewing your stuff in stereo, I'd suggest the red/blue anaglyph
> technique. Get a pair of red-blue 3D glasses from somewhere, (the web)
> and use a channel copy COP to split your color planes out correctly
> for each camera so you can preview your stereo effects on your
> computer. Merge the red layer from the left camera, and cyan (which is
> equal parts blue and green) from the right camera and you'll be in
> business. (Works better with low-chroma or grayscale images.)

Hey,

While I was at DNA Ant Bully was being created in stereo for Imax. To
preview on the workstations they took the rendered pair, flipped the left
eye and composited them together side by side.

This was loaded into a flipbook and played such that it overlapped the
monitors. Left eye render on the left monitor (flipped horizontally) and the
right eye render on the right monitor.

A mirror ("first/front surfaced, 4-6 waves"... about the size of the
monitor) mounted on an adjustable stand was placed between the monitors so
that it reflected the left monitor. You put your nose towards the mirror,
the left eye looking at the reflection of the left monitor, the right eye
looking directly at the right monitor.

Very effective full colour 3d preview at your desktop.

A picture of it here:

http://www.kanuka.com.au/imax/imax_stereo.jpg

Beers,
r.