[Sidefx-houdini-list] Mantra crops

Rangi Sutton rangi.sutton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 23:15:07 EDT 2006

Simon Barrick wrote:
> Thought for the day....
>
> Whenever we are rendering really big print res frames with lots of
> geometry in we crop each frame up into 6-8 pieces and render each bit
> seperately. This is unbelievably quicker than trying to do the whole
> thing at once plus much less likely to fail. I've been doing this for
> ages and now I've started thinking why the heck can't mantra do this
> process internally? You'd think that it was doing that with buckets
> anyway but yet cropping the frame always makes it quicker and more
> stable. Has anyone else noticed this? If I'm not imagining it surely
> this would be a nice feature for mantra....
>
> Ta
Excellent question. Same goes with prman. Cropping it down to tiles and
rendering for print always helps. I guess  because you end up with so
many micropolygons at that res, even if they're not in the active bucket
they're gotta be somewhere. Whereas with the render of a crop it won't
make the micropolys outside the rendered region. Or something. You would
think a mechanism to automate this with the render would be great.

The extra advantage is with doing the split outside of the renderer is
that you throw it across multiple machines easily, and restart dead
renders for just those slices.

Beers,
Rangi.