[Sidefx-houdini-list] Point Attributes to Instanced Geometry

brian goodwin brian.r.goodwin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 13:37:13 EDT 2006

Hey Robert

a solution is to append a Shader SOP to your points and tag generate point
attributes for instancing, then if u untag Use indirect references, u'll see
a vm_surface point attrib.

by overwriting that, you can pass data too you instaced object

ie
instead of
opdef:/Shop/v_supermat spectype phong amb 1 1 1 diff 0.8 0.8 0.8  _shop_
/obj/model/shopnet1/v_supermat1

you can replace that with

opdef:/Shop/v_supermat spectype phong amb 1 1 1 diff `rand ($PT)` `rand
($PT+2)` 0.8  _shop_ /obj/model/shopnet1/v_supermat1

check these two links out

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=1446&hl=tree++instancing

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=3495&hl=

all the best