[Sidefx-houdini-list] rendering point colors

jason iversen jiversen at d2.com
Fri Oct 13 14:08:35 EDT 2006

Hi Luc,

If you would like to read more about this type of thing, please look here:

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/VEXUsageTips

Enjoy:)
Jason

Luc Froelicher wrote:
> hello Garman and thanks for the insight about this.
> much easier than I thought ... once again.
> cheers
>
> luc
>
> Garman Herigstad wrote:
>> Using attributes to control any shader paramter is
>> easier than most expect.
>>
>> About color, you can pass primitive and detail
>> attributes as color.  This is vey useful if you only
>> need to color by primitive, or the full object has one
>> color (or one shade attribute that is changing per
>> frame.)
>>
>> Detail attributes.  It only allows for on efor the
>> full geometry.  So it's lite, memory-wise.   So if you
>> only want to animate the displacement level for the
>> full object, using detail will save memory.
>>
>> The downside of not using this is, if your geometry is
>> very heavy and you have point attributes with the same
>> (duplicate) settings for each point, your geometry can
>> grow in size, almost unmanagable.
>>
>> Attributes have a priority of which will override.  If
>> you have a color attribute (Cd) on point, primitive
>> and detail, guess the priorty.
>>

>> THAT'S RIGHT.  point overrides detail and detail
>> overrides primitive.
>>

>> --- luc froehlicher <lulu at alamaison.fr> wrote:
>>

>>> thanks rick.it works fine.
>>> I guess it was a stupid question. :)
>>> luc

>>> you can rename attributes.

>>> channel that you want to

>>> shop.

>>> the parameters you should

>>> for the diffuse channel.

>>> your Color Sop  you should

>>> vector type.

>>> the shader above is

>>> set the surface shader to

>>> set the render and

>>> to render your object

>>> with a sop color node

>>> inside a shader.

>>> how to do that .

jason iversen
 digital domain
  technical director

 Religion is an insult to human dignity.
 With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things
 and evil people doing bad things,
 but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.
       ~ Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate in physics

aim:jdiversen|w(310)314-2800x2305|m(310)699-6648|http://odforce.net