[Sidefx-houdini-list] rendering point colors

Garman Herigstad garman_lists at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 11 08:52:19 EDT 2006

Using attributes to control any shader paramter is
easier than most expect.

About color, you can pass primitive and detail
attributes as color.  This is vey useful if you only
need to color by primitive, or the full object has one
color (or one shade attribute that is changing per
frame.)

Detail attributes.  It only allows for on efor the
full geometry.  So it's lite, memory-wise.   So if you
only want to animate the displacement level for the
full object, using detail will save memory.

The downside of not using this is, if your geometry is
very heavy and you have point attributes with the same
(duplicate) settings for each point, your geometry can
grow in size, almost unmanagable.

Attributes have a priority of which will override.  If
you have a color attribute (Cd) on point, primitive
and detail, guess the priorty.

THAT'S RIGHT.  point overrides detail and detail
overrides primitive.