[Sidefx-houdini-list] Re: The future of DOPs? ;)

Thomas Johnson ntmatter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 17:55:04 EDT 2006

On 10/6/06, Ashraf Ghoniem <ashraf at 3dm.org> wrote:
> or how about this..  Havoc is basically doing the level of simulation that
> would give us HUGE headache but in real time.... I think we have a thing or
> two as fx people to learn from game developers.

Honestly, I'm slightly skeptical about this demo. It looks like most
of the geometry involved in these simulations consists of static
spheroids and cuboids, rather than totally generic animated meshes
that would typically be dealt with in a more practical simulation.

In other words, they've been able to optimize absolutely everything in
the simulation. Minimalist collision geometry, lots of compiled-in
precalculated constants, system-dependent optimization flags, you name
it. It's still a very impressive piece of work, but I don't think it
will apply to any most kinds of physical simulations from outside the
game industry.

 - Thomas