[Sidefx-houdini-list] CAD to Houdini

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Mon Oct 2 09:51:36 EDT 2006

On Monday 02 October 2006 09:19, Peter Robbinson wrote:
> I would try the .iges route next. That format is more closely associated
> with CAD conversions and there are usually more options for
> them to control the conversion.

	You'll need two things for this - possibly three.  We've just been through
this and ended up with(unfortunately) polys because we didn't have a lot of
control or time over the source files(originally ProE).  We got Polytrans,
which is great, but while it reads ProE files natively, that won't help you
get it to an IGES format readable by Houdini(esp with trim surfaces).  You
need to get IGES files saved out by whatever program is being used to design
the files, then run them through Polytrans, which has it's strength in being
able to beat up any of the hundreds of mangled IGES variants out there(and
there are hundreds).  Unfortunately, I'm not sure you'll be able to take
advantage of exporting into an IGES file readable by Houdini - you'll need to
import directly into Maya(!) because that's the only one they support
directly.  Getting it from Maya to Houdini may be troublesome in itself.

	Bottom line, it's a bitch.  It *really* depends on the flavour of IGES, and
as mentioned the state of that format is a mess when going between packages.
You might try IGES and it will work first time.  It probably won't.
Importing IGES trim surfaces from Polytrans directly into Houdini resulted in
a mess.  Everyone complains about Houdini's handling of IGES, but after this
experience, at least I understand why.  The main guy at Polytrans has been
focused heavily on IGES for many years - it's a full time job.

	Personally, I'd like to get the Polytrans guys talking to SESI, not sure when
that will happen though.  They're right here in town, guys.  :)

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada