[Sidefx-houdini-list] simple particle question ...

Darran Edmundson darran at edmstudio.com
Thu Nov 30 20:40:13 EST 2006

I am animating a scene with a small marker object constrained to move on
the surface of a sphere.  The object always feels a rotational force
about some axis.  Initially, the object spins in a great circle orbit
about the x-axis.  Triggered by an event, the axis of rotation will
change to say, the x+z axis.  This sudden change doesn't cause a jump in
the object's position, just a change in direction upon the surface of
the sphere.  I'm after a comet-like effect showing the current-object
position and a variable-length tail showing where the object has just
been.  (Motion-blur but with greater control over the look.)

With my extremely limited particle experience, it seems that I want to
birth a single particle that lives forever, affect it by the orbit POP,
vary the Orbit axis (as mentioned above) when necessary, and birth a
stationary trail particle at each time step.  Alternatively, I'd birth a
new particle (to be affected by Orbit) at the location of the last
particle.  In either case, I'm struggling to get this working ;-)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Darran.

--
Darran Edmundson [darran at edmstudio.com]
Interactive visualization for museums and industry