[Sidefx-houdini-list] Rotate only between two angles in DOPs?

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 11:20:39 EST 2006

Hello,
      I've spent some considerable amount of time on this and can't
find an answer. Basically, I want to constrain the rotation of an RBD
object's angle. I have constrained the rotation (think of a door being
hit by a ball) let's say to the Y axis, and that works fine, but when
hit by the ball it swings freely.
     In a tutorial or demo, "blocks" were used to prevent the door
swinging beyond the angles desired. This will not work in my case, the
impulses are more complex, and the blocks don't work. I need to be
able to explicitly control the angles of swinging. In an ideal world,
using a spring system so it's not a "hard" constraint on the angle.
     Unless I'm missing something, I'll have to use modify data or
somesuch to alter the actual "orient" data using Hscript etc. This
seems like overkill for something that should be a pretty common
operation in an RBD sim. Hopefully I'm missing something and someone
will cleverly point this out, making me feel shame, yet happiness that
I can accomplish my goal.

Cheers,

Peter B