[Sidefx-houdini-list] Bootcamp on MacPro?

Jed Schwartz jed at jedschwartz.com
Tue Nov 14 20:51:11 EST 2006

We got one of the new MacPro desktop systems last month, besides the
usual graphics apps we are using the system for editing HD and
running Shake- The system is very fast and for the most part very
reliable. The only problem we found so far is with memory-

We set up this Mac with a dual channel 4Gb Fiber Channel PCIe adapter
to interface with a Huge RAID system. Does a great jot of streaming
HD but we had frequent crashes until we took 2 gigs of ram out of the
box- I'm told that until there is a firmware update on the apple
side, or we move down to a 2gb FC card, we will be limited to 2 gigs
of ram in this system- Apple does not seem to acknowledge the
problem, but it seem to be common knowledge at ATTO and others- Not
sure any of this relates to the topic, but I'm hoping someone else
might find this info useful or be able to shed more light on the issues-

Anyway, I hadn't really considered it, but  I'm extremely interested
in getting linux and ultimately houdini running on this machine...Be
the best of all worlds in one box-- !!

Jed-