[Sidefx-houdini-list] Ubuntu?

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 10:36:46 EST 2006

On 11/14/06, Dan Seddon <dan.seddon at framestore-cfc.com> wrote:
> Thanks everyone - I'll take that as a "positive" then and continue
> installing it tonight. What is "Dapper" by the way - I just followed the
> first link from google and downloaded the "Desktop" CD which was
> incredibly easy/slick and even more quick! Should I be installing a
> another version?
I am using Ubuntu Dapper with Houdini for almost more than a year, I
have four computers and a laptop, all working without problems. I use
Maya, RenderMan, Shake and Pixel too without problems.
Ubuntu Dapper is the Long Term Support distribution, it has 5 years of
support, something comparable ?
Ubuntu Edgy is the "development" version. Dapper is 6.06 and Edgy is 6.10.
Here are the links to get both of them, and an explanation of the
different versions available:
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu/download?action=show&redirect=download

For commercial apps use Dapper.
A very good site with many useful information about Ubuntu:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_dapper

Hope this helps.

> Dan
>
> > Also an Ubuntu (Dapper) user and can't recommend it enough. I was
> > previously
> > a die-hard Suse user (even convinced the lab I worked at for a while
> > to use
> > it on their viz clusters), but have since found that the Ubuntu (xubuntu)
> > experience can't be beat.
> > Mplayer was a breeze to setup for me (As was VLC, and yadda other
> > clients).
> > Make sure you are subscribed to Universe and Multiverse in Synaptic if
> > you
> > don't see it initially.
> > For 3D it's hard for me to make comparisons aside from the ease of
> > install.
> > I just used the installer available from nvidia and let it do it's
> > thing. In
> > 10 minutes I was good to go, which I would guess is standard. I
> > personally
> > haven't had any problems with Houdini or XSI under this distro (or any
> > game
> > du jour for lunch-time deathmatch :) ).
> >
> > _chip
> >

> > On 11/14/06, Dan Seddon <dan.seddon at framestore-cfc.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Is there anyone currently using Ubuntu who recommends it? I installed it
> >> last night on my laptop and was initially very impressed with it's
> >> slickness - I've been trying to find an alternative to Suse 10.1 which
> >> has freezing problems on my new laptop. Is Ubuntu a good distro for 3D?
> >> Checking briefly it seems that mplayer and similar don't seem as
> >> straight forward to install as on Suse or Fedora - is there anything
> >> similar to the packman Yum/Apt-get repositories?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Dan

Un saludo
Best Regards