[Sidefx-houdini-list] Ubuntu?

Chip Collier photex at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 09:11:41 EST 2006

Also an Ubuntu (Dapper) user and can't recommend it enough. I was previously
a die-hard Suse user (even convinced the lab I worked at for a while to use
it on their viz clusters), but have since found that the Ubuntu (xubuntu)
experience can't be beat.
Mplayer was a breeze to setup for me (As was VLC, and yadda other clients).
Make sure you are subscribed to Universe and Multiverse in Synaptic if you
don't see it initially.
For 3D it's hard for me to make comparisons aside from the ease of install.
I just used the installer available from nvidia and let it do it's thing. In
10 minutes I was good to go, which I would guess is standard. I personally
haven't had any problems with Houdini or XSI under this distro (or any game
du jour for lunch-time deathmatch :) ).

_chip