[Sidefx-houdini-list] Ubuntu?

Peter Robbinson probbins at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 14 08:36:31 EST 2006

I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper and am very pleased. This is running on
an Acer Aspire 1710 laptop.
The one thing you must do, provided of course you have done the smart
thing and kept with Nvidia graphics, is install the nvidia drivers.

You can use apt-get for that or synaptic (the gui apt-get). Both work
very well.

I'm continually impressed with the automatic updating Ubuntu does.
I will be staying with the Dapper version, it is the version Ubuntu has
declared their industrial version they will be supporting for 5 years.

The next version, Edgy or something like that, is meant as a bleeding
edge version and thus not as stable.

PeterR

On Tue, 2006-14-11 at 12:55 +0000, Dan Seddon wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there anyone currently using Ubuntu who recommends it? I installed it
> last night on my laptop and was initially very impressed with it's
> slickness - I've been trying to find an alternative to Suse 10.1 which
> has freezing problems on my new laptop. Is Ubuntu a good distro for 3D?
> Checking briefly it seems that mplayer and similar don't seem as
> straight forward to install as on Suse or Fedora - is there anything
> similar to the packman Yum/Apt-get repositories?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dan
"everything is coincident"