[Sidefx-houdini-list] CATIA v5 to Houdini

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Wed Nov 8 13:45:58 EST 2006

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 13:27, Johnson, Dave (Space Technology) wrote:
> Has anyone heard of a path to go from CATIA v5 to Houdini? I know they can
> output iges, step, or vrml.

	After recent experiences in this area, I haven't found a reliable way to get
decent NURBS into Houdini from reasonably current and complicated CAD files
of any kind.  If you're happy with polys, I would recommend getting
Polytrans(www.okino.com) and import IGES, polygonize, then out to Houdini
with OBJ or something similar.

	IMHO not having a reliable and robust NURBS path into Houdini really hurts
the product.  While I don't think of Houdini as design-first, increasingly
VFX are required to get decent data for products from the design stage for
visualization.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada