[Sidefx-houdini-list] tool efficiency benchmarks

Ivan DeWolf ivan at martian-labs.com
Thu Nov 2 18:44:10 EST 2006

part of the problem in quantifying this is there are wide differences in artists
speed and techniques.

I know some artists that plod along but use shortcuts and simple hacks to get
things out the door quickly, and other artists that scurry around like mad
generating thousands of sops or lines of code over months to create a simple
effect. It's never as simple as "packageA vs. package B"; I would argue that
the other outside influances carry far more weight in an efficiency equation
than choice of software.

even the same artist might have different levels of efficiency depending on
other influences in their lives.  This week he's slow, but last month he was
crankin'...

Quoting Andrew D Lyons <tstexture at gmail.com>:

> I've often wondered whether there was any scientific way of
> establishing whether "tool A" was better for certain tasks than "tool
> B". It seems a really difficult thing to quantify. You can say that
> "house A" used "tool A" and made 800 shots in 12 months with a crew of
> 12 artists and 3 TD's. "House B" on the other hand used "tool B" and
> also made 800 shots in 12 months but needed 24 artists and 12 TD's.
> People might argue that "Film B" had more challenges, or the  Director
> was a vision-less nut-case etc. How do you then quantify and take into
> consideration "challenging", or the effect of poor direction?
>
> I don't want to start a software flame war. I'm looking more for
> people's ideas on scientific methods that could be used to benchmarks
> tools - more than applications of those methods to the tools that are
> out there.
>
> Having said that I'd also be really interested to see any raw data and
> case examples that people might have to share - where the task
> involves shot counts > 700 shots.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers

-Ivan