[Sidefx-houdini-list] tool efficiency benchmarks

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 18:09:56 EST 2006

I've often wondered whether there was any scientific way of
establishing whether "tool A" was better for certain tasks than "tool
B". It seems a really difficult thing to quantify. You can say that
"house A" used "tool A" and made 800 shots in 12 months with a crew of
12 artists and 3 TD's. "House B" on the other hand used "tool B" and
also made 800 shots in 12 months but needed 24 artists and 12 TD's.
People might argue that "Film B" had more challenges, or the  Director
was a vision-less nut-case etc. How do you then quantify and take into
consideration "challenging", or the effect of poor direction?

I don't want to start a software flame war. I'm looking more for
people's ideas on scientific methods that could be used to benchmarks
tools - more than applications of those methods to the tools that are
out there.

Having said that I'd also be really interested to see any raw data and
case examples that people might have to share - where the task
involves shot counts > 700 shots.

Thanks!

Cheers