[Sidefx-houdini-list] Hardware Choices

Rick Walia rickw at the-mill.com
Fri Mar 31 13:56:34 EST 2006

Jed Schwartz wrote:

> Not sure you will get much out of the dual core today-
> We built our latest systems with dual cpu opteron 252s,
> the systems have been rock solid--
>
> We started out with a 64bit RH E- 4 build  -houdini seemed to run fine
> but we had a series of driver issues that nudged us back to a 32 bit
> system-
>
> All this goes back to the beginning of the year- I'd love to hear
> about people who
> are having good luck (or not) running houdini on 64bit  systems-

I'm running houdini on 64 bit opensuse. I used to have 64 bit gentoo but
I no longer have time to get crazy tweaking the kernel ;) It works good
on 64bit suse, I can't say it's faster or slower since I haven't
measured it against a 32bit setup. I have the athlon X2 3800 and am
quite happy with the performance.

I'm using the debian 64bit build of houdini.

--
Rick Walia

The Mill