[Sidefx-houdini-list] Particle Flow

Ben Schrijvers Ben.Schrijvers at framestore-cfc.com
Fri Mar 31 09:33:26 EST 2006

Basicly what you need to do to enable mixing your curve control with
forces is modifying the acceleration rather than velocity.
Most of the other POP's work on acceleration as well and velocity is
something to be very carefull with.
But you can't just use the attributeTransfer POP as this will overwrite
the existing acceleration.
Also the acceleration that you need to apply is the difference between
the curve velocity and the velocity of the particle.
So transfer the velocity to a custom attribute, subtract the particles
velocity from it and add it to the existing acceleration.
You could do that with an expression in an acceleration POP.

The radius control is a bit tricky as the "blend width" parameter from
the attrTransf SOP is missing on the POP version?
You could transfer the position of the curve to the particles, calculate
the length between them and create your own weigth.. which you multiply
with that own acceleration.

Personally I would build my own pop with VOP's. You can use the curve as
a pointcloud and get attributes from it in that way.
Also you can control the radius in every way you want.. if you can
translate that what you want into a bunch of VOP's.

Also take a look at the attractor POP. Put the curve through a point SOP
and set the Dir F. in the forces tap.
This won't make the particles go along the curve though.. as you need to
do the velocity difference as discibed above.

succes,
benS