[Sidefx-houdini-list] DOPs

Sean Lewkiw sean.lewkiw at framestore-cfc.com
Fri Mar 31 05:14:25 EST 2006

I'd have to agree with Ben.

What DOPs really needs is more documentation, (the usual refrain).  One
other problem we came up against was how to break things up, Ben put
together a clever cookie based DA that worked well, but it's still a
huge pain.  He also came up with a stamping based way to loop through
all your primitive groups and perform operations on them, (so, for
example, you can orient all of your geo along an axis so that the SDFs
can be created nicely, or to replace your high-res geo with bounding boxes).

Some things do need to be a lot easier, like telling DOPs when to
release something into a sim.  It's possible now, but again, not easy.
There also needs to be some way to pre-flight geo to make sure it is not
going to freak out when it gets released into a sim.

Having said all that, it does provide really nice, realistic, and
relatively fast results once everything is set up.

Sean