[Sidefx-houdini-list] DOPs

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 14:08:17 EST 2006

It is true that in Houdini you need to spend a little time making a
good SDF proxy of your collision geometry. In Maya you need to make a
low resolution proxy of models in most cases as well, otherwise your
simulation times slow to a crawl. Even then collision detection in
Maya is still flaky and intersections occur regularly. The studio I
work at devoted a lot of time to RBD tests last year because Maya RBD
basically didn't work, and tried every 3rd party tool out there (Havoc
etc) before deciding upon Houdini. It is true that there are more
controls for RBD in Houdini - but more controls are usually desirable.
In shot work I've repeatedly run into instances when I've needed those
extra controls in Houdini, and the fact that they don't exist in other
packages are the reason they aren't being used as much for RBD
anymore.