[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini -> mental ray user datas

Colin Doncaster colin.doncaster at rsp.com.au
Wed Mar 22 18:02:13 EST 2006

hey guy -

each model has the pre and post include script which does get written
out to the .mi file.  You could write a pre-frame script ( in the
mental ray ROP ) that runs a script to generates an .mi file for that
frame and then set the pre/post include to that output.

You can open a command port or stuff all the relevant object
information onto the command line to get scene data.

It's ugly ( ish ) but it should work.

Oh, the other thing that occured to me, if you put a unix sop at the
end of your sop network you could then pipe all the geometry data to
a script that formats it into the per frame .mi you want which means
you won't have to worry about the pre frame script in the output ROP.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers - colin.

Colin Doncaster Some Guy -- colin.doncaster at rsp.com.au
rising sun pictures -- http://www.rsp.com.au/
direct line +61 (0)2 9338 6432
mobile ph +61 (0)4 1011 1709
syd ph +61 (0)2 9338 6400 -- fx +61 (0)2 9338 6401
15/16 charles street, redfern, sydney, nsw 2016
adl ph +61 (0)8 8400 6400 -- fx +61 (0)8 8400 6401
level 1, 133 gouger street, adelaide, sa 5000
rising sun research - http://www.risingsunresearch.com/