[Sidefx-houdini-list] slow cops

Jed Schwartz jed at jedschwartz.com
Wed Mar 22 13:39:33 EST 2006


Count me in on any embarrassment-- my Display cash was also set to  
10MB-- (must be the default)-  odd thing is that this is also the  
setting for my H7 Display cash that seems to run so much faster..??

I need to take a closer look at the settings Louis outlined-

Thanks-

Jed


On Mar 22, 2006, at 12:33 PM, Floyd Gillis wrote:

> Thanks Peter & Louis,
>
> My display cache was set to... uhh... this is embarrassing...  
> 10Mb.  (I didn't know about the 'd' in the COPs viewport).  I take  
> back my previous post... until I've had a chance to play around  
> with the new settings.
>
> Humbly,
>
> Floyd
>
>
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Peter Bowmar [mailto:pbowmar at gmail.com]
>> Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:52 AM
>> To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com; floyd at afcg.com
>> Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] slow cops
>>
>> Everyone got their Cache settings up around 512 or so, at minimum?
>> Remember there are two, one for Display (hit 'd' in the COPs  
>> viewport)
>> and one for cooking (Settings->Main Prefs).
>>
>> I find it pretty fast and reliable in 8.0.545 on Linux, for what
>> that's worth.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Peter B
>>
>> On 22/03/06, Floyd Gillis <floyd at afcg.com> wrote:
>>> This came up several weeks ago and we were assured it was fixed with
>> most recent releases.  I'm running 8.0.495 and it's still extremely
>> sluggish compared to 7... and I'm only comping 8 bit NTSC files.
>>>
>>> Are there some options I should be disabling?
>>>
>>> Floyd
>>>
>>>
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: sidefx-houdini-list-bounces at sidefx.com
>>>> [mailto:sidefx-houdini-
>> list-
>>>> bounces at sidefx.com] On Behalf Of Simon Barrick
>>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 7:41 AM
>>>> To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
>>>> Subject: RE: [Sidefx-houdini-list] slow cops
>>>>
>>>> Yeah we get this too, even with only half a dozen nodes. Windows
>> H8.0.410
>>>> I was wondering if it drivers but haven't had time to try it.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: Jed Schwartz [mailto:jed at jedschwartz.com]
>>>> Sent: 22 March 2006 15:40
>>>> To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
>>>> Subject: [Sidefx-houdini-list] slow cops
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Is any one else having trouble with the speed of the compositor in
>>>> H8-
>> ?
>>>>
>>>> As soon as my cop net gets even slightly complicated I'm getting
>>>> an intolerable slow-down in overall performance- I've reverted to
>>>> building my composites in H7- It seem s to run MUCH faster-
>>>>
>>>> I'm getting the same problem on multiple platforms-
>>>>
>>>> My primary workstation is:
>>>>
>>>> Running linux RH Ent-4 32 bit-  kernel 2.6.9-5
>>>>
>>>> Dual Opteron Model 252
>>>> 2GB DDR400 ECC (2 DIMMS)
>>>> 2GB DDR400 ECC (2 DIMMS)
>>>> NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB G-DDR3
>>>>
>>>> I love to hear that there is a fix for this!
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Jed-_______________________________________________
>>> ________________________________________________________
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list Sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
>>> https://lists.sidefx.com:443/mailman/listinfo/sidefx-houdini-list
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: sidefx-houdini-list-bounces at sidefx.com [mailto:sidefx- 
>> houdini-list-
>> bounces at sidefx.com] On Behalf Of Floyd Gillis
>> Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:23 AM
>> To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
>> Subject: RE: [Sidefx-houdini-list] slow cops
>>
>> This came up several weeks ago and we were assured it was fixed  
>> with most
>> recent releases.  I'm running 8.0.495 and it's still extremely  
>> sluggish
>> compared to 7... and I'm only comping 8 bit NTSC files.
>>
>> Are there some options I should be disabling?
>>
>> Floyd
>>
>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: sidefx-houdini-list-bounces at sidefx.com [mailto:sidefx-houdini-
>> list-
>>> bounces at sidefx.com] On Behalf Of Simon Barrick
>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 7:41 AM
>>> To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
>>> Subject: RE: [Sidefx-houdini-list] slow cops
>>>
>>> Yeah we get this too, even with only half a dozen nodes. Windows
>> H8.0.410
>>> I was wondering if it drivers but haven't had time to try it.
>>>
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Jed Schwartz [mailto:jed at jedschwartz.com]
>>> Sent: 22 March 2006 15:40
>>> To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
>>> Subject: [Sidefx-houdini-list] slow cops
>>>
>>>
>>> Is any one else having trouble with the speed of the compositor  
>>> in H8-?
>>>
>>> As soon as my cop net gets even slightly complicated I'm getting an
>>> intolerable slow-down in overall performance- I've reverted to
>>> building my composites in H7- It seem s to run MUCH faster-
>>>
>>> I'm getting the same problem on multiple platforms-
>>>
>>> My primary workstation is:
>>>
>>> Running linux RH Ent-4 32 bit-  kernel 2.6.9-5
>>>
>>> Dual Opteron Model 252
>>> 2GB DDR400 ECC (2 DIMMS)
>>> 2GB DDR400 ECC (2 DIMMS)
>>> NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB G−DDR3
>>>
>>> I love to hear that there is a fix for this!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jed-_______________________________________________
>> ________________________________________________________
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list
>> Sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
>> https://lists.sidefx.com:443/mailman/listinfo/sidefx-houdini-list
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list
> Sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> https://lists.sidefx.com:443/mailman/listinfo/sidefx-houdini-list
>




More information about the Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list